Friday, April 7, 2017

A Button



Assignment - Square
Photo Credit: barbaragaillewis Flickr via Compfight cc

A Button


Something was in the post today.
A plain blue envelope, no address.
Inside, a white button.
Maybe someone came undone on a bus.
Perhaps they were trying to reach home,
and the button didn't make it.
Maybe it happened in a dark alley,
or in an office after work.
Or it was one of those seedy hotels
and the husband never suspected.
Did the button come off willingly,
or was it forced off?
I don’t know why it was sent to me.
My eyes have grown weak.
I can't thread the needle any more.
I was never really good at sewing anyway.


GloPoWriMo Day 7

13 comments:

  1. I like the idea of something so small and innocuous creating a mystery, and the little details about the speaker woven in. Thanks for sharing! I hope you don't mind, I'm including a link to this in my own post for today as one of my daily recommendations for this month. =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for featuring me, Katie. I am honoured.

      Delete
  2. Lovely to have you featured. Mine too was about something that came in the post, well courier exactly but very exciting. I managed to have a poem accepted in the first ever anthology of New Zealand Political Poems. Great variation and not too much haranguing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Congratulations, my friend. I am looking at your poem right now, it is great. It was a great prompt.

      Delete
  3. i love the mystery of this poem.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh what a wonderful poem -- that 4th line works wonders!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. It is from that song by Duran Duran ;)

      Delete
  5. Love this. So simple but so intriguing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this take on the prompt - something so innocuous becomes something worth pondering!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I followed the process described on the NaPoWriMo blog and ended up with a button in an envelope. I was really confused at first, then I started wondering about that button and its story.

      Delete